Dune is a themed journal directed by Maria Luisa Frisa (IUAV University of Venice) and published by Flash Art, with graphic design by Think Work Observe. It reflects interests in research, writing methods and theoretical production of the team of the fashion courses at IUAV.
The title of the second issue, Manifesto, is examined in terms of its relations with the culture of design and the visual arts and the journal hosts a wide range of interpretations of its theme, pursuing an idea of crossing disciplinary boundaries that lies at the root of the editorial adventure. Fashion, design and visual culture have retained their central position but in open and constant dialogue with other languages and other forms of expression.
On cover: Kensuke Koike, Forever Mine, 2020. Layered prints. Courtesy and © Kensuke Koike. Special project conceived for Dune.
Dune “Manifesto” Contents Index:
• We Are All Clitoridian Women by Claire Fontaine
• In Praise of Maintenance: Reading Mierle Laderman Ukeles’s Manifesto in 2020 by Stella Bottai
• “Le mourant doit sourire et même, s’il y arrive, rire”: Hervé Guibert’s La Pudeur ou l’Impudeur as a Manifesto of the Dying Body by Michele Maltauro
• The Immanence of Images. Viruses, Real Worlds, New Neo-Realisms by Carmelo Marabello
• Power Suit. Men’s Fashion as Avant-Garde Manifesto by Matteo Billeri
• Here Is Never Where It Was Yesterday by Silvia Calderoni with a visual contribution by Giulio Testi
• As the Words Are Touching Us: Reconsidering Some “No Manifestos” in Light of the Present Pandemic by Elisa Frasson
• Cinzia Ruggeri’s New Man by Elena Fava
• Disciplined Clothes and Educated Gestures: On Dressing and Walking as a Manifesto of Emergency Between Science Fiction and Reality by Anna Franceschini
• Moschino: To Be or Not To Be, That’s Fashion by Maria Luisa Frisa
• The Art of Raising Images. An Unpublished Preface by Paolo Beni, “in lode de’ Ricami” (1607) by Stefano Tomassini
• Producing and Communicating: Manifestos of the Contemporary Made in Italy Trademark by Edoardo Brunello
• Je est un autre” by Jacopo Milani
Bilingual publication: English, Italian, 200 pages